Newport is a village in Herkimer County, New York, USA. The population was 640 at the 2000 census. The Village of Newport is near the eastern town line of the Town of Newport and is northeast of Utica. The early community was known as the "Bowen Settlement," after its founder Benjamin Bowen. He purchased the land around 1788 and began improvements and invited settlers to purchase land. The village was incorporated in 1857. It was then an important cheese center.