The Village of Middleville is on the boundary of the Towns of Newport and Fairfield. The village is north of the Village of Herkimer and is east of Utica. The community was first settled around 1806. People settled on the land purchased by Sheffield Kenyon and built houses and industries. The village was incorporated in 1890, ten years after the railroad arrived.